Thursday, March 20, 2014

Day 25!

Happy first day of Spring?

Today, we had what began as a two hour delay and morphed into a snow day. Six inches of heavy, wet snow fell and was followed by several inches of rain that thankfully cleaned most of that up, though it's now freezing to the roads like mad.

I actually had a rather productive day of cleaning a bit and getting loads of paperwork done. That being done, I decided to treat myself to a win-win: opening showing at a theater minus the Friday crowd that would doubtless contain students.

I drove to the city to see Veronica Roth's Divergent!

I blew through the books in what felt like an obsessive haze. They were well written and the society was philosophically fascinating.

Without being spoiler-y, I can say that I highly recommend the film. There was a little too much Jennine Mathews where she wasn't supposed to be, but much of this was caused by them incorporating almost every key conversation or trigger for Tris whilst having to condense scenes so it fit a movie time frame. I could see why they made the changes so I could respect the way it was done and it still preserved the message of the novel and the characterization. 

I was really pleased and found the acting and casting well matched. Still can't over the fact that Ansel Egbert was in it as her brother though! It's going to make TFioS a bit more awkward to watch! Kate Winslett definitely blew my mind though. She's spectacularly creepy as Jennine; she gets that nice words, cold arrogance, and creepiness in your gut just right. 

So now go see it and agree or disagree with me!

"Fear doesn't shut you down, it wakes you up."

No comments:

Post a Comment