Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Day 86!

Today I got to be a part of a really exciting workshop for MCCL.

MCCL is the Maine Cohort for Customized learning. They are unpacking the Common Core and other standards into learning targets so that students can progress through knowledge. This is becoming what's known as Proficiency Based Learning (aka Standards Based Learning).

I was pretty darned skeptical at year's start but my Marzano class, a video I watched yesterday, and today really got my gears firing. I don't like everything they say, but who does? I can just see logic.

Our home for the day!

A group of 5 of us from different schools worked on AP English standards. We got the chance to actually write a draft of the curriculum itself; these are things to be added or altered to fully address College Board and the Common Core's requirements. This will be considered and possibly put into the Educate software. It was a challenge, but incredibly interesting.

And in case you're wondering, I like the Common Core for ELA - it has rigor and a great inclusion of informational texts and varied writing. I like rigor:

No comments:

Post a Comment